Sunday 23 April 2017

Shoot Two - Work Record

For my second shoot, I am wanted to capture similar images to in my first image, with a very close up macro shooting style, however, I felt that the documentary quality of my first shoot need to be expanded on. I decided to capture the photos over a period of a day while I was in college, in an attempt to create a photo narrative of what I did throughout my day. Similar to my previous shoot, I shot with my lens as wide as possible, using a narrow aperture to create a narrow depth of field.

This Photo was taken using a shutter speed of 1/100, with an aperture of f5.6 and the ISO set to 500. I chose this setting as I wanted a very narrow depth of field and needed the shutter speed to be above 1/60 to avoid camera shake. Because the room I shot this in was fairly dull in lighting, the ISO had to be moved up to 500 in order for the camera to be sensitive enough to the light that was there. This image also had some white balance issues, which I corrected in Photoshop using this method. This image makes use of texture, displaying some rough textures in the foreground on the wood of the table, which contrast to the shiny and smooth textures shown on the earphone pods. This can represent the fact that some everyday objects can appear to be unused despite being heavily used. The earphones themselves create a juxtaposition of moods, as the pod of the headphones is smooth and shiny, whereas there is a broken piece of plastic along the wire, representing the item's heavy use.



 I shot this image on a shutter speed of 1/125, with an aperture of f3.5 and an ISO of 200. I chose that aperture as I wanted to create a sense of depth in this image through having a narrow depth of field. I focussed on the sheets of paper on the table, as I wanted to create a snapshot of what I was doing while in college at the time. It also creates a narrative of me being focussed on my work, with the drink being out focus, suggesting that it's the less important object in my situation. The framing of the image helps create the narrative of the image, as it captures all aspects of what was on my desk at the time. You can see the keyboard, which represents the digital aspect of my work, as well as the storyboards, which represent the physical aspects of my work, and my phone being present as a representation of leisure periods between my work.

For my next shoot, I want to return to the setting of the household, capturing a similar style macro photography that I used throughout my first shoot, however, I would like to carry the documentary influences that I used throughout this shoot to create narratives throughout household objects without the use of words being featured in the images.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Interim Evaluation

I researched a number of still life photographers throughout my research logs and image bank, which I feel have greatly influence my shoots....