Tuesday 25 April 2017

Shoot Four - Work Record

For this shoot, I decided that I wanted to return to the concept of creating narrative through post it notes, however, refining my use of composition and framing from my previous attempt. While I am planning to stick to the macro photography style, I intend to capture some images which display more of the surroundings of the post it note, as I feel it will help create some context to what was written there and therefore help to create narrative. I plan to shoot in my kitchen again, incorporating new post it notes that vary from the previous post it note shoot. 

This was taken at a shutter speed of 1/20, with an aperture of f5.6, and the result is an incredibly narrow depth of field. As the lighting in my kitchen was dim, I had to increase the ISO to 400, resulting in some noise. Once I had taken the image, I edited it by increasing the contrast and saturation to the image, creating a brighter and more vibrant colour pallete. The image depicts a card that reads "Healthy Minds", with a card reading "Tropicana book park inn" behind it. This shows a contrast in moods between the person who is writing the post it notes in the kitchen, as healthy minds is a mental health service, which represents that they may have been struggling with their mental health, which is immediately contradicted by the other note which is a reminder to book tickets to a club night, which is a leisure activity. Together, they create a portrait of the post it note user's varying moods and how they can switch between them. Colour has also been used effectively in this shoot, with lots of shades of blue shown through the text on the card and the handwriting on the post it note. While blue can represent sadness, the blue on the card is saturated, therefore it could be a representation of the writer acknowledging they are sad but realising there is hope to feel better.



This was taken at 1/30, with an aperture of f4.3 and an ISO of 400. This has been taken from an eye level view, and as a result, very little of the post it note that's laid out of the table is in focus. The section that's readable says "sometimes I wonder why. but i'll be ok now", and is written in jet black ink. The use of black ink is significant, as black can represent power, and this theme links to the positive message of self assurance that is written on the note. Overall, this represents the writer being in a positive mood, as it contrasts to the blue biro that can be seen in the background of the image. However, I have edited a slight blue cast over the image, creating contrasting moods between the writing on the post it note that creates a positive atmosphere, and the blue tones of the image that represent sadness.

For my next shoot, I plan to keep to the macro style, however, I feel that I should expand my theme of everyday objects in the household to include a location that is less clean and protected, in hope of creating a grittier depiction of everyday objects. I hope to capture some objects that are old or have been worn out to create some contrast between the clean and new looking objects of the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interim Evaluation

I researched a number of still life photographers throughout my research logs and image bank, which I feel have greatly influence my shoots....