Tuesday 25 April 2017

Shoot Three - Work Record

For this shoot, I moved back to the setting of the household, deciding to shoot in my kitchen, similarly to my first shoot. While my previous two shoots had some element of text to help create a narrative, I wanted to remove this element from my shoot and create narrative through a purely visual method. I decided I wanted to capture the remainders of a family dinner that has been left on plates in the kitchen, as well as the washing up that builds up by the end of the day, creating a real depiction of what happens in the kitchen through the average day. I am keeping to a similar style of shooting to my previous shoots, being close up to my subjects with a narrow depth of field, linking to macro photography.



This was taken with a shutter speed of 1/60, an aperture of f5.6 and an ISO of ISO 800. I moved the ISO sensitivity to be high because the lighting in the room wasn't particularly bright, but had the tone I wanted therefore I didn't want to rely on the flash to create more light in my images as it would change the lighting tone. This image has a very narrow depth of field, with the camera being focused on the spoon that's on top of the other one. There are some corroded and scratched textures shown on the cutlery in these images, from which you could suggest that they are used regularly and have been owned for a long time. This creates contrast in themes between this and the presence of the remainders of food, as the food represents waste in the household, whereas the rust on the spoons portrays everyday objects being reused for long periods of time without being thrown out.



This was taken with the same camera settings as the previous image, as these settings worked throughout the room because the lighting was consistent and covered everything equally. A similar narrow depth of field was used in this image, with the camera being focussed on the head of the fork on the plate. Colour has been used effectively in this image, with muted shades of red being featured heavy in the composition of the image throughout, which could represent the fading joy that the eater of this meal experienced as they got towards the end of the meal, resulting in some food being left. The use of red is contrasted by the muted shades of green that appear on the plate behind the remainders of sauce. Green represents nature, therefore this could be a reminder to the viewer of the image as to where the food has come from, making you think of the impact food waste has on the environment.

For my next shoot, I want to return to the post it notes concept that I explored in my first shoot, refining the techniques I used. While I was very close up to the notes in my first shoot, which does create a strong sense of depth, I feel that it removes some context to the what's going on in the scene, therefore I would like to repeat it in a less close up manner to increase the series' documentary quality

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interim Evaluation

I researched a number of still life photographers throughout my research logs and image bank, which I feel have greatly influence my shoots....