Thursday 27 April 2017

Shoot Seven - Work Record

For my final preparatory shoot, I have decided to move back to the setting of the household for a final development of my focus on household objects. Since we have just bought shopping, my plan for the shoot is to capture this in macro style while it's still left out in the kitchen, in hope to create a snapshot of what my kitchen feels like when it's full of bags of shopping. I am shooting handheld, as there are a large variation of angles I want to get and I feel a tripod would restrict me in getting these angles.





 

 I shot this image on 1/60, with an aperture of f5.6 and an ISO of 640. I needed this image to be shot on over 1/60 due to the prevention of camera shake, therefore I needed to increase the ISO of 640, and as a result this is some image noise visible. This image makes strong use of colour, with the subject of the image being an ibuprofen box, on which there are three distinct sections of white, grey and a lighter grey. The use of such shades link to the the uses of ibuprofen, as these colours are very dull and reflect how you feel when you need to use Ibuprofen. There are mostly dark tones in the composition of this image, with the only light tones being on the tube of toothpaste to the right of the image; the hard shadow that's cast over the ibuprofen box connotes that it's the object in the photo that has the darkest context to it, in that it's used in times of pain. The yellow that's visible behind the ibuprofen box is out of focus, and yellow can represent happiness, therefore it could be seen as a representation of happiness not being the focus of your mind when you are in physical pain; the ibuprofen is as that's the thing that will relieve the pain.



This was shot using the same settings as the previous image (1/60, f5.6 and an ISO of 640); the majority of the shoot was shot on the same settings as the lighting used was evenly spread, meaning most of my location was lit the same amount. I wanted to emphasise depth in this image, therefore I tried to get a narrow aperture and shot through the hole in the bag where the handle is, focusing on the tin of peas that's inside the bag, which leaves the bag handle out of focus. The tin mostly consists of shades of green and brown, both of which are colours that represent nature, which creates contrast to the plastic bag, which comes from entirely man made materials. The use of focusing on the tin could present that nature will always eventually overcome the creations of people, as it is always present and will be still when we're not. Because the bag is translucent, there is some muted yellow that seeps through it around the tin of peas. This could represent the small amount of hope there is that nature can still survive in a world dominated by human-made constructions.

For my exam shoots, I plan to focus on my topic of everyday objects in the household, as this is the topic that I feel I've refined the most. Since I have focused on the kitchen, I plan to expand this by capturing every room within my household, photographing the various objects positioned around the rooms. I also would like to make use of framing by moving my objects before I shoot, rather than leaving them as they naturally are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interim Evaluation

I researched a number of still life photographers throughout my research logs and image bank, which I feel have greatly influence my shoots....