Tuesday 21 March 2017

Shoot One - Work Record

For my first shoot, I plan to shoot in the style of macro photography. I will be taking photos of post it notes around my households, and I plan to get close up to my subject and shoot with my lens on a wide angle setting in hope of achieving a wide angle closeup macro style shoot. From this shoot, I hope to achieve a linking series of macro photographs that document the things that people forget to do in the household.



Here is one of my straight images from my shoot. I wanted to capture a macro style image with a very narrow depth of field, therefore I shot on f5.3, setting my shutter speed to 1/60 to avoid camera shake as I was shooting handheld rather than on a tripod. This image presents a very strong tonal contrast, with the post it note being visible but the surface it is positioned on being too dark to view details, meaning you get a low key lighting effect. The image captures a sticky note that has been left out on a kitchen work surface that reads "you know you're right". I liked this because the message is open to interpretation; you can create your own meanings to what it could mean. You could suggest that as this is around the household, it could be a message left from one person in the house to another, perhaps as confirmation to them regarding a discussion they were having. The fact the camera has a very narrow depth of field, and that it focuses on the "you're right' line portrays that who the note was directed at being right was more important than whether they knew it or not. The use of a very cold colour palette, which almost entirely consists of black and white, could reflect the writer's bitter mood when writing the message.



This is another one of my straight images from my shoot. I shot this image on 1/60, with an aperture of f5.6 and an ISO of 640, therefore the result was a very narrow depth of field, in which the bottom text is in focus. The sticky note reads "Book Theory" at the top, which has been underlined, and underneath is written "sort out uni fees", with a second line of writing being cut off so you can't read it. The entire post it note is obscured the shadow, meaning the tones of the image are mostly dark; this could be presenting daily life as dull and monotonous, with there being little hope for breaking the repetitive daily activities that make it so dull. However, the shadow ends just before the top of the post it note, meaning there is a small section in which there is light tones. The light tones could represent that there still is a glimmer of hope that everyday life could be interesting. The use of a red pen is also significant, as the rest of the image is monotone, being shades of black, white or grey, therefore the red could reflect the writer's attempt to make such a dull task as writing down reminders on post it notes more interesting through the use of colour.

For my next shoot, I want to mostly keep to the close up macro style, however, at certain points it became restrictive as I couldn't capture a wider scene of what is happening around the post it notes. I plan to move the camera further away in some of my shots for this reason, as it will help create context to my shots.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Interim Evaluation

I researched a number of still life photographers throughout my research logs and image bank, which I feel have greatly influence my shoots....